Custom Structures

Architects & General Contractors

Architecture in Lynchburg

2015-12-17 09:48:00

Architecture in Lynchburg

Lynchburg has much to be proud of and high on the list, is its architecture. Unlike San Francisco, Richmond, New Orleans and Charleston, Lynchburg did not lose much of its architectural fabric to catastrophic war, disasters and devastating weather.

Progress, however, has claimed way too many of Lynchburg’s architectural treasures. Buildings that were early Lynchburg... are now gone. The old tobacco warehouses that stored Lynchburg’s wealth are gone, the ferry house that essentially started a city is gone, and the handsome Union Station along with other City landmarks are gone forever.

Although much has been lost due to progress, preservation in Lynchburg has been active for a long time. All one has to do is visit Point of Honor, the old City Courthouse, Poplar Forest, the Western Hotel, Monument Terrace, the Academy of Music, the Miller Claytor House and Sandusky to realize that Lynchburg’s architectural past is in safe hands.

A walk along the Presidential streets on Diamond and Garland Hill handsomely exhibit the simple and more extravagant details that showcase our City’s houses where early residents lived, prospered and built a community.

The Allied Arts building is an excellent example of art deco design and the visitor’s center was designed originally as a gas station in the art modern style popular in the 1930s.

The Kentucky Hotel on 5th Street is thought to have been built as early as 1800. It still stands thanks to preservationists.

Miller Home and Miller Park were donations to the city by the philanthropist Samuel Miller. His home, pillaged by Northern troops during the battle of Lynchburg still stands on Nelson Drive.

The statesman Carter Glass’ home and retreat are still standing. One is on Clay Street and the other is on the campus of Liberty University.

The Quaker meeting house of the late 1700’s has been renovated on Fort Avenue and the Johnson Cottage that was built in 1767 still stands next to Rosedale on Graves Mill Road.

Locust Thicket and the revolutionary cemetery on the grounds are interesting architectural treasures worth visiting.

On the corner of Twelfth and Court still stands Lynchburg’s first toy store. Well worth a nostalgic visit.

The churches of Lynchburg are symbolic of the community’s faith and friendship. Court Street Baptist Church was completed in 1880. At the other end of downtown stands the First Baptist Church, a High Victorian Gothic style treasure. Each are worthy examples of premiere architecture in Lynchburg.

The architecture of Lynchburg… from its uniform and rigid colonial homes to Main Street with its wide pallet of architectural styles and even with its vacated industrial centers in the lower basin… all are snapshots of a City’s proud past.

Categories

Archive